Want to play the whole Baldur’s Gate franchise without having to stop or change games? A person over on the GOG.com forums called “GoJays2025” wrote a guide on the topic and GOG.com mentioned it recently on their news. Now I am going to give my take on how to do it with help from the guide I just mentioned.
This guide will tell you how to play all the Baldur’s Gate games as one continuously adventure with the much superior Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn engine. This includes its improved game mechanics, and better graphics. Also it will help you play in larger resolutions, in widescreen and much more.
Some Windows 7 users might want to install the games in a directory other than C:Program Files if encountering problems. C:Games should work better.
Step by step:
- To start of you need both of the Baldur’s Gate games which can be bought currently on sale in the Diamonds of D&D pack on GOG.com.
- Install Baldur’s Gate: The Original Saga and Baldur’s Gate II Complete.
- Download Baldur’s Gate II Fixpack and put it to your Baldur’s Gate II install folder and run setup-bg2fixpack.exe.
- Download BGT-WeiDU and put it in your Baldur’s Gate II install folder and run Setup-BGT.exe.
- Go to your Baldur’s Gate I’s install folder and wait for BGT-WeiDU to finish installing.
- Optional: Download and install Baldur’s Gate 1 Unfinished Business and BG 2 Unfinished Business. These mods restore things that were previously taken out from the games before release.
- Optional: Download and install any user-created DLC, mods etc.
- Go to your Baldur’s Gate II install folder and run Setup-BGTMusic.exe and select ‘Hybrid Baldur’s Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal music’. This will allow to use the original Baldur’s Gate music when playing Baldur’s Gate: The Original Saga.
- Optional: Download Baldur’s Gate II Tweak Pack and put it to your Baldur’s Gate II install folder. Read the readme file for details of each tweak.
- Download the widescreen mod and put it to your Baldur’s Gate II install folder. This mod makes it possible to play the game in higher resolutions and in widescreen.
- Uninstall the Baldur’s Gate: The Original Saga as it’s no longer needed.
- Launch Baldur’s Gate II Complete.
If done correctly you will now be able to play all the way from Baldur’s Gate: The Original Saga to the end of Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal in one continuous play through.
My other Baldur’s Gate posts:
- GOG.com: Classic Dungeons and Dragons Games on Sale.
- Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition Delayed By Two Months.
- Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will be Available in September.
- Complete Baldur’s Gate: and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Editions Coming Soon.